Seeking Treatment for Prostate Cancer
posted: Apr. 07, 2023.
Dr. Jonathan Masel is your urologist if you are seeking treatment for prostate cancer in Hollywood, FL. If you have been diagnosed with prostate cancer you are likely researching and getting opinions about your condition. When you are seeking treatment for prostate cancer our practice is here for you. Read about prostate cancer treatment and contact us for an appointment today.
How Common Is Prostate Cancer?
Prostate cancer follows only skin cancer as the most common type of cancer that affects men. Prostate cancer can be aggressive but depending on when you have been diagnosed (prostate cancer progresses in four stages), you could have several options for treatment. Any cancer diagnosis is scary and if you have been diagnosed with prostate cancer, it is important to consider all your options.
How Is Prostate Cancer Treated?
The most effective treatment will depend on the stage of the cancer being treated and the health history of the patient. Available treatments include:
- Surgery to remove the prostate gland and the surrounding tissue and prevent cancer from spreading. Dr. Masel specializes in minimally invasive and laparoscopic procedures to remove the gland and tissue.
- Radiation therapy kills cancer cells with high-energy particles and can also be used if cancer returns after surgery.
- Chemotherapy isn't typically recommended for prostate cancer, but these drugs can be helpful for patients when radiation isn't effective.
- Hormone therapy is the next alternative used as it reduces the male hormones in the body to prevent hormones from affecting cancer.
- Cryotherapy can be used to treat cancer cells in the early stages that have returned after treatment.
You also have options for treatment that are meant to slow the spread of cancer which might be the best option depending on the stage. Whatever kind of treatment you need, our practice can help.
Start Treatment Now
Being diagnosed with prostate cancer is life-changing, so understand all the treatment options available to you. Dr. Jonathan Masel of Masel Urology Center in Hollywood, FL, is here to help you navigate treatment for prostate cancer. Call us to make an appointment at (954) 961-7500.