What Is BPH? (Prostate Enlargement)
posted: Jan. 19, 2021.
How your urologist in Hollywood, FL, can help with prostate enlargement
BPH is an abbreviation for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. In other words, BPH means an enlarged prostate. BPH can cause many uncomfortable, annoying symptoms. Fortunately, your urologist is an expert at treating BPH. Dr. Jonathan L. Masel at Masel Urology Center in Hollywood, FL, offers a wide range of urology services including diagnosis and treatment of BPH.
The prostate continues to grow throughout a man’s lifetime and it can enlarge to the point of pressing on the urethra. The urethra can begin to narrow, causing:
- A weak urine stream
- Difficulty starting to urinate
- Inability to fully empty the bladder
- A urine stream that starts and stops
- Increased urgency to urinate
- Urinary incontinence
- More frequent urination at night
You may be at increased risk of BPH if you:
- Have a family history of BPH
- Are over 50 years old
- Have erectile dysfunction
- Are carrying excess weight
You can try a few simple tips to help with BPH symptoms. Remember to:
- Limit your liquid intake at night
- Limit your intake of alcohol and caffeine
- Control your weight by watching your diet and staying active
In addition to changes in your lifestyle, Dr. Masel offers several ways to treat BPH. He may recommend:
- Alpha-blocker medications to relax bladder and prostate muscles
- 5-Alpha reductase inhibitor medication to block the production of DHT, a hormone that causes prostate growth
- Combination medication therapy, using both alpha-blockers and 5-alpha reductase inhibitors
- Laser therapy to remove excess prostate tissue
- There are also multiple types of surgery to reduce the size of the prostate.
To read more detailed information about BPH, please visit the Prostate Enlargement section on the website at https://www.drmasel.com/prostate-enlargement-bph
Your urologist can help if you have BPH. To find out more about the diagnosis and treatment of BPH, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Jonathan L. Masel of Masel Urology Center in Hollywood, FL at (954) 961-7500. Call today!