Treatment for Kidney Stones
posted: Apr. 25, 2022.
Kidney stones can be a very painful situation that can linger for a long time without help. Thankfully, you can get kidney stone treatment from Dr. Jonathan Masel in Hollywood, FL. This treatment specialist can provide the care that you need to overcome your kidney stone problems.
Small Stone Diagnosis
When you're passing small kidneys tones, your physician may catch them and test them to see what kind you're developing. This process can help them choose a medication that can minimize your pain. For example, they can tell if you have calcium stones (which they can treat potassium citrate), uric acid stones (which they also treat with potassium citrate), struvite stones (which they break down with antibiotics), or cystine stones (which they can destroy with antioxidants).
Large Stone Treatment
If you have larger kidney stones that you cannot pass, your doctor will immediately diagnose your problem to help you. This process may include intravenous fluids to help keep you hydrated and to start breaking down the stones. They may need to break apart the stones using various treatment methods and surgeries that may help you avoid long-term pain, including:
- Shock Wave Lithotripsy: This treatment method uses shockwaves that break apart the kidney stones and help them pass through your urinary tract more easily.
- Cystoscopy and Ureteroscopy: This therapy option includes inspection with a small scope that helps doctors identify the large kidney stone and break it apart with various tools.
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy: Doctors make a small incision in your body, identify the kidney stone, and remove it carefully through this incision.
- Hyperparathyroidism Surgery: This surgery removes an abnormal parathyroid gland that may trigger excessive kidney stones in some people.
This kidney stone treatment in Hollywood, FL, can help you minimize any unnecessary suffering and ensure that you stay healthy and strong. Your doctor may use multiple therapy options to break apart your stones, depending on how your body reacts. They can also help you find preventative methods that make this process easier to execute.
Preventing Kidney Stones
The best kidney stone therapy is prevention. Follow these steps to stop further kidney stone development:
- Drink plenty of fluids, especially water: avoid citrus drinks that may cause kidney stones
- Take any kidney stone prevention medications provided by your doctor
- Exercise regularly to help improve fluid flow in your body
You Can Get Help
If you're concerned about kidney stones and are worried about your treatment, make sure to call Dr. Jonathan Masel at Masel Urology Center in Hollywood, FL today. He can provide kidney stone treatment to help you feel better. Call us at (954) 961-7500 to set up your appointment or to learn more about our unique care options that can help you recover.